YK MYK THERE SEEMS TO BE NO END TO TUSSLE BETWEEN RAMDEV AND IMA OPINION RANCHI SATURDAY, 29 MAY, 2021 PG-12, YEAR—11, ISSUE—25 (RNI NO: JHAENG / 2012 / 44137) MAX 31 C CM Soren orders probe into bridge collapse MIN 23 C Sky will be partly cloudy. AT A GLANCE SUSHANT CASE: EX-FLATMATE PITHANI SENT TO NCB CUSTODY TILL JUNE 1 NATION Morning India Rs. 5 WEATHER TODAY ‘LOWEST DAILY NEW CASES IN 44 DAYS, RECOVERY RATE 90%’ SANJAY SAHAY RANCHI: Chief Minister (CM) Hemant Soren has ordered a high-level inquiry into the collapse of the new bridge, which links Bundu and Tamar blocks in Ranchi district, in the Yaas cyclone on Thursday. In a tweet the CM said, “I have ordered a high-level inquiry into the incident. I would not allow corruption and loot of public money.” The bridge, built over Kanchi river, was damaged in the continuous rainfall during the cyclone. It linked three blocks namely Bundu, Tamar and Sonahatu and had been built three years ago. It had no approach IN A TWEET THE CM SAID, “I HAVE ORDERED A HIGHLEVEL INQUIRY INTO THE INCIDENT. I WOULD NOT ALLOW CORRUPTION AND LOOT OF PUBLIC MONEY.” road and was not formally inaugurated. Local people, however, used the bridge in large number while crossing the river. Earlier, people had no option but boats to cross the river during the monsoon season. Sources said that a three-member committee headed by the chief engineer, road construction department has already been formed to carry out the inquiry. After the incident executive president of Congress party state unit, Keshav Mahto Kamlesh requested Rural Development Minister Alamgir Alam to conduct a high-level inquiry into the incident and the backlist the INDIA TOTAL CASES: 2,75,64,857 TOTAL DEATH: 3,19,007 WORLD TOTAL CASES: 169,740,962 TOTAL DEATH: 3,527,396 provided access to the Mahamayi temple, which is considered very old. PM announces Rs 1K cr relief package after aerial survey HC ORDERS MAHA TO ADMIT STAN SWAMY TO PVT HOSPITAL CORONA METER contractor. Kamlesh said that apart from being of public use the bridge also CYCLONE YAAS MUMBAI: A Mumbai court on Friday sent Sushant Singh Rajput's former flatmate Siddharth Pithani, arrested in Hyderabad and brought here, to the custody of the Narcotics Control Bureau till June 1 in connection with a drug case linked with the death of the Bollywood actor last year. Among the prime suspects in the case, Pithani was absconding since long, but was arrested by the NCB in a joint operation with its Hyderabad office on Wednesday, May 26. MUMBAI: The Bombay High Court on Friday ordered the Maharashtra government to immediately transfer ailing octogenarian priest and Koregaon-Bhima case accused Father Stan Swamy to a private hospital for 15 days, in view of his deteriorating health. At a special urgent hearing, a division bench said that although Sir J. J. Hospital - where Swamy is current admitted - is wellequipped and medically staffed, it may not be feasible to give proper attention to him, owing to the present Covid-19. The bridge, built over Kanchi river, was damaged in the continuous rainfall during the cyclone. It linked three blocks namely Bundu, Tamar and Sonahatu and had been built three years ago. he CPI (M) leader Sufal Mahto also sent a mail to the CM seeking a high-level inquiry. Mahto alleged that the incident occurred primarily because inferior materials were used in the construction works. It may be added here that local villagers have said that wide spread illegal mining of sand was taking place in the Kanchi river, which could have weakened the pillars of the bridge. They contended that the structure would not have come down had the administration taken step to prevent illegal mining. According to a report, a sum of around Rs 14 crore was spent in the construction of the bridge. WATERWAYS People traveling through waterlogged areas near Tajpur beach aftermath of cyclone Yaas in East Midnapore on Friday. ANI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday conducted an aerial survey to review the damages caused by the severe cyclonic storm ‘Yaas in Odisha and West Bengal. Expressing solidarity with the people affected by the cyclonic storm, the Prime Minister announced financial assistance of Rs 1,000 crore for immediate relief activities. Of this, Rs 500 crore would be given to Odisha, while the remaining amount would be allotted to West Bengal and Jharkhand on the basis of the extent of damage. The Union government will also deploy an inter-ministerial team to visit the states to assess the extent of damage, based on which further assistance will be announced. The Centre has assured all help for restoration and rebuilding of the infrastructure in the affected areas. An amount of Rs 2 lakh ex gratia would be given to the next of kin of the deceased, while Rs 50,000 would be ‘China amassing weapons systems at Indian border’ BEIJING: Beijing is amassing new weapons systems in its border with India complicating efforts towards a peaceful solution to the border standoff. Citing Global Times, Asia Times reported that the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) announced the deployment of new self-propelled rapid-fire mortars to conduct 'mobile, hit-and-run firing positions'. The mortars are the fourth new type of weapons systems brought by the PLA in the region, after the addition of a new 122millimetre calibre self-pro- pelled howitzer, armoured assault vehicles and longrange multiple rocket launcher systems. The missile system and the rocket artillery have been identified as the HQ-17A field air defence missile system and the PHL-11 122mm caliber self-propelled multiple rocket launcher system. However, the logistical burden of the weapons would likely make it difficult, if not impossible, to transport large amounts of mortar munitions up to higher altitudes, even if they were air-dropped by helicopters. Last week, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said that India's relationship with China is at crossroads following border tensions and its direction depends on whether the Chinese side will adhere to the consensus and whether it would follow through on bilateral agreements reached between the two countries. given to the injured persons. During his visit to Odisha and West Bengal to review the situation arising out of cyclone Yaas, the Prime Minister undertook an aerial survey of the affected areas in Bhadrak and Baleswar districts in Odisha, and East Midnapore in West Bengal. In Bhubaneswar, the Prime Minister chaired a meeting to review the relief and rehabilitation measures undertaken so far. The Prime Minister was briefed that the maximum damage due to cyclone Yaas happened in Odisha, and in some parts of West Bengal and Jharkhand. Modi assured the people of Odisha, West Bengal and Jharkhand that the Centre will work closely with the state governments at this difficult time, and extend all possible assistance for the restoration and rebuilding of the infrastructure in the affected areas. The Prime Minister expressed his solidarity with all those who suffered due to the cyclone and expressed deep sorrow to the families which lost their kin during the calamity. 11 DEAD AFTER CONSUMING SPURIOUS LIQUOR IN UP'S ALIGARH ALIGARH: Eleven people died on Friday and some more were taken ill after allegedly consuming spurious liquor sold by a licensed vendor here, a senior official said. The authorities have ordered a magisterial probe into the incident and suspend five excise officials while four people, including the liquor vend owner, have been arrested. The inquiry will be conducted by an additional district magistrate-rank officer, DM Chandra Bhushan Singh told mediapersons. The administration is likely to invoke the stringent National Security Act (NSA) against those found guilty, he said. Confirming the 11 deaths, the DM said information about other people who had consumed liquor bought from the same vendor is trickling in. DIG Dipak Kumar said the Lodha police station was informed in the morning about the death of two people after consuming country-made liquor bought from a vendor in Karsia. The victims were truck drivers who had gathered at a gas depot on the AligarhTapaal highway for work, he said. RUSSIA FINES TWITTER AS COMPANY FIGHTS INDIA OVER CONTENT WORLD India terms WHO-convened study on COVID-19 origin as ‘important first step’ NEW DELHI: India on Friday termed the World Health Organisation's (WHO) global study on the origins of COVID-19 as an "important first step" and stressed the need for next phase studies to reach robust conclusions. In response to media queries on WHO convened global study on the origin of COVID-19, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said the follow up of the WHO report and further studies deserve the "understanding and cooperation" of all. "The WHO convened global study on the origins of INSIDE PRODUCTION BATCHES OF COVAXIN INITIATED IN MARCH TO BE READY ONLY IN JUNE PAGE 7 COVID-19 is an important first step. It stressed the need for next phase studies as also for further data and studies to reach robust conclusions," he said in a statement. "The follow up of the WHO report and further studies deserve the under- standing and cooperation of all," he added. New Delhi's response comes amid reports that the WHO is expected to restudy the "dominant theory" that the SARS-CoV-2 probably originated and spread across the world from China's Wuhan lab. According to CNN, previously overlooked Chinese data on extensive screening of animals for coronavirus around the time the pandemic erupted is among several areas identified for further study by WHO scientists investigating the origins of the virus, as per a source. Guard against ‘judicial largesse’ to accused, SC tells courts Discretionary powers to grant anticipatory bail cannot be exercised in an untrammelled manner: Bench NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Friday said protection from arrest should not granted to accused, while dismissing their plea for anticipatory bail at the same time, as they would roam freely without being apprehensive of coercive action. A bench of Chief Justice N.V. Ramana and Justices Surya Kant and Aniruddha Bose said the court's discretionary powers to grant anticipatory bail "cannot be exercised in an untrammelled manner". The top court made it clear that if protection is granted while denying anticipatory bail then, such an order must necessarily be "narrowly tailored" to protect the interests of the applicant, while taking into consideration the concerns of the investigating authority. Cautioning the lower courts on this aspect, the top court said such directions, where protection from arrested is granted while denying pre-arrest bail, exceeds judicial discretion and amounts to "judicial largesse", which the courts do not possess. The top court set aside two orders passed by the Allahabad High Court, dismissing the plea of pre-arrest bail by the accused but granting protection from arrest for 90 days. "The resultant effect of the High Court's orders is that neither are the respondents found entitled to pre-arrest bail, nor can they be arrested for a long duration.. We are thus of the view that the High Court committed a grave error in passing such protection to the respondents accused," it said. It stressed that if protection is granted to the accused, then such an order "must necessarily be narrowly-tailored to protect the interests of the applicant while taking into consideration the concerns of the society at large, and the investigating authority". "Such an order must be a reasoned one," it noted. The bench added that the High Court, giving the relief of 90 days, had not considered the concerns of the investigating agency, the complainant or the proviso under Section 438(1), Cr.P.C., which necessitates that court pass such an exceptional discretionary protection order for the shortest duration that is reasonably required. However, it observed the High Court can give protection to accused in certain extraordinary circumstances, even though the investigating agency has made out a case for arrest. Meanwhile, aggrieved by nonissuance of a passport by the authorities with a change in name and gender, a transgender person moved the Delhi High Court for issuance of the travel document with the requisite changes. A bench of Chief Justice D N Patel and Justice Jyoti Singh issued notice to the Ministry of External Affairs seeking its stand on the plea which has claimed that the petitioner was issued an Aadhaar card, PAN card and a Voter ID under the changed name and gender, but not a passport. "That since all the documents of the petitioner, including her Aadhaar Card, Voter ID as well as her PAN Card have been issued to her with the required changes in name and gender on the basis of the affidavit dated December 2, 2019, the petitioner is also entitled to be issued her new passport with the same changes as have been made in her other documents," the petition has said. The petitioner, who was born a male and subsequently changed his gender to female by way of a self declaration on an affidavit in 2019, has also challenged a requirement under the Passport Rules 1980 to submit a "sexchange certificate" from a hospital for issuance of the travel document. In the petition, filed through advocates Siddharth Seem and Oindrila Sen, the petitioner has claimed that the requirement for a sex-change certificate was "illegal and unconstitutional" and it has prevented several transgender persons in getting their passports to reflect their self-identified gender.