YK MYK INDIA-CHINA TROOPS WITHDRAWAL FROM LAC IS A SORT OF ARMISTICE OPINION RANCHI THURSDAY, 25 FEB, 2021 PG-12, YEAR—10, ISSUE—291 (RNI NO: JHAENG / 2012 / 44137) MAX 30 C MIN 16 C Sky will be clear. CABINET RECOMMENDS PRESIDENT'S RULE IN PUDUCHERRY NEW DELHI: The Union Cabinet recommended President's Rule in Puducherry, said Union Minister Prakash Javadekar on Wednesday, days after the resignation of V Narayanasamy from his chief ministerial post. Addressing a press conference after a cabinet briefing, the minister said nobody staked a claim to form the government. "As some ruling party MLAs left the government, Puducherry Chief Minister V Narayanasamy resigned. Nobody has staked claim to form the government. Citing Article 239 read with Section 51 of UT Act, Lt Governor has proposed the Assembly suspension," Javadekar said. "Today, the Cabinet gave approval to this suspension, now after President's approval, Puducherry Assembly will be dissolved. Necessary steps will be taken to administer Puducherry. Model code of conduct will start in a few days and there will be elections thereafter," he added. Earlier on February 23, President Ram Nath Kovind has accepted the resignation of Puducherry Chief Minister V Narayanasamy and his council of ministers. The resignations were submitted after the Narayanaswamy-led Congress government lost the floor test held in Puducherry Assembly on Monday. MORE ON PG 5 CORONA METER INDIA TOTAL CASES: 1,10,34,380 TOTAL DEATH: 156,623 WORLD TOTAL CASES: 112,774,854 TOTAL DEATH: 2,499,111 WORLD Morning India Rs. 5 WEATHER TODAY APPROACHED PM MODI WHEN I CAME INTO POWER: IMRAN KHAN ‘Monetise & modernise’ is our motto: PM on disinvestment NEW DELHI: Reiterating the government's commitment towards privatisation of PSUs and asset monetisation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday said that the motto of his government is to "monetise and modernise". Addressing a webinar on the Budget announcements for Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM), the Prime Minister asked the private sector to come in support of the government's initiatives proposed in the Budget and help it prepare the roadmap for accelerated growth. Emphasising on the role of private sector, he said that the Budget also focused on the strong partnership between the private players and the Centre. "When the government monetises, private sector comes in, along with investment and best global practices," he said. The funds mobilised through asset monetisation and disinvestment will be used for public welfare measures, he said. He added the Budget has targeted monetising 100 government assets, which would create investment opportunities worth Rs 2.5 lakh crore. TWIST IN TALE Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks on various reforms undertaken in Union Budget 2021-22, via video conference in New Delhi on Wednesday. ANI Modi further said that the new policy will go a step ahead from annual disinvestment target and will take a medium-term strategic approach and help in selection of individual companies. This will create a clear roadmap for investment, as per the Prime Minister. Observing that the government's role is to encourage business enterprises and not to become its owner, he said: "The government has no business to be in business." He said that the government has to focus on development projects and welfare The funds mobilised through asset monetisation and disinvestment will be used for public welfare measures, he said. He added the Budget has targeted monetising 100 government assets, which would create investment of the people and should be away from businesses. The Prime Minister's address comes at a time when the government has re-strategised its disinvestment and asset monetisation policies with clear focus on privatisation. Modi said that the Budget for FY22 has outlined a clear roadmap for India to move on the "high growth trajectory". His emphasis on the privatisation policy also gains significance as the renewed push for disinvestment and asset monetisation has received criticism from the opposition who have termed the move as "selling the family silver". BUSINESS PAGE Five of a family found murdered in Gumla RAJ KUMAR File photograph of Surajkumar M. Dubey, a 26year-old naval sailor and native of Jharkhand, who was found in a jungle in Palghar on February 6 with 90% burn injuries. He succumbed to the injuries the same night at Mumbai’s Sion Hospital. Maha Police: Navy sailor ‘concocted’ his kidnap-murder story PALGHAR: In a stunning revelation, the Palghar Police on Wednesday contended that the Indian Navy (IN) sailor who claimed to have been kidnapped and set on fire in a forest may have 'cooked up' the story as he was in heavy debt. A fortnight after the tragic death of the IN's Leading Seaman, Surajkumar M. Dubey, 27, the Palghar Police's detailed investigations have punched holes into his claims and allegations as per a 'dying declaration' recorded by the police before he succumbed to 90 percent burns on February 5 in a naval hospital in Mumbai. Palghar Superintendent of Police Dattatreya Shinde told mediapersons that from available evidence and CCTVs record in Chennai, Mumbai, Palghar, it appears that the deceased may have ended his own life ostensibly due a huge pile of unpaid loans. In his 'dying declaration' Dube had recounted a sensational story of how he travelled from Ranchi by plane on the night of January 30-31, how after landing at Chennai he was kidnapped by 3 persons, confined for 3 days for a ransom of Rs 10 lakhs before being brought to Palghar, where he was allegedly taken to a forested hillock and set on fire. "We had formed 10 teams to probe the matter. Lot of things have emerged. We are still investigating how and why he came from Chennai to Palghar, a distance of 1,480 kms," Shinde said. Detailing the investigations outcome conducted by the teams led by Deputy SP Dhanaji Nalawade, Shinde said that contrary to his kidnap claims, Dube was captured on CCTV sauntering out of Chennai Airport on January 30 around 10.50 p.m., later having dinner at Hotel Sarvesh, and walking around the Koyambedu bus station there. The following two days (January 31-February1), he checked into a lodge in Chennai, withdrew money from ATMs in Koyambedu, Arihant Tower, and on February 1 caught a bus to reach Vellore and stayed that afternoon in Popular Lodge before checking out in the evening. "Both places he registered in his own name. This is confirmed by the lodge staffers and CCTV footages we examined. Its not possible, as he claimed, that he was kidnapped and confined in some unknown location for three days," said Shinde. RANCHI: Five members of a family were brutally murdered at Buruhatu, about 100km from Jharkhand's capital under Sarita panchayat of Kamdara block in Gumla district. The incident took place on Tuesday evening. Who were the murderers and why they committed the brutal murder could not be clear so far but the list of the deceased is clear. The list includes Nikodin Topno (60), his wife Josphin Topno (55), son Vincent Topno, daughter-in-law Silwanti Topno (29), and grandson, Alvin Topno (5). Visual inspection of the bodies suggested that a sharpedged weapon was used to commit the murder. Superintendent of police of the district, Hrudeep P Janardhanan, confirmed the incident saying that the lone survivor from the family remained 8-yr-old granddaughter of Nikodin. "The little girl survived as she was in Ranchi at some relative's residence," Janardhanan said. Asked about the reason behind the incident, Janardhanan said: "Matter is under investigation. We today remained busy completing the process of the autopsy. Thus, it is difficult to give any conclusive statement on the matter. However, we can say that we are close to those behind the murder and make Union Home MInister Amit Shah addresses during the inauguration of Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium, Motera on Wednesday. ANI Sardar Patel Stadium renamed after Narendra Modi A team of officials visit Buruhatu village in the district to take stock of situation on Wednesday. a breakthrough soon." A locality resident informed that Deputy Commissioner Shishir Kumar Sinha also visited the spot and condemned the incident. "DC Sinha after visiting the spot directed officials to ensure proper security to the lone survivor of the family and also provide her financial assistance," the resident said. Last year on October 25, a youth and his sister on the way to Lohardaga from their native village in Ghaghra in the same district were abducted along with their car and killed. The abduction took place hardly 2km from their native village. Sister's body was recovered from a pond about 15km from the place of abduction while brother's body was recovered hardly 200m from the pond. One arrest had taken place in this connection on November 2 in the same year. BJP leaders Mukul Roy, Suvendu Adhikari, Rajiv Banerjee, Arjun Singh, Sabyasachi Dutta, Debjit Sarkar along with party activists during a rally, in Kolkata on Wednesday. ANI AHMEDABAD: The Sardar Patel (Gujarat) Stadium in Motera near Ahmedabad was on Wednesday renamed as the Narendra Modi Stadium. The stadium, popularly known as the Motera Stadium was recently re-opened after extensive renovation which increased seating capacity to a record 1,10,000. It hosts its first international cricket match on Wednesday with India taking on England in a day-night Test match. The stadium's new name was announced during an inauguraTHE NARENDRA tion ceremony MODI STADIUM that was attendSURPASSES THE ed by President MELBOURNE Ram Nath CRICKET GROUND Kovind, Home (MCG) IN Minister Amit AUSTRALIA AS Shah, Sports THE WORLD'S Minister Kiren LARGEST CRICKET Rijiju, Gujarat STADIUM. THE Governor MCG HAS A MAXIAcharya MUM SEATING Devvrat, and CAPACITY OF Board of Control 1,00,024. for Cricket in India (BCCI) Secretary Jay Shah among others. The stadium is located within the larger Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Sports Enclave which will have facilities for Olympic sports. Among the facilities that are set to be included in the enclave in addition to the cricket stadium is a multipurpose stadium for athletics and football, a hockey stadium and outdoor practice fields. The enclave is also slated to include a host of indoor facilities including a swimming pool and velodrome along with facilities for beach volleyball and a boating centre. The Narendra Modi Stadium surpasses the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) in Australia as the world's largest cricket stadium. The MCG has a maximum seating capacity of 1,00,024. RELATED STORIES ON PG 5 SC discusses involving magistrates with criminal probe NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court Wednesday mooted an idea of involving judicial magistrates in monitoring police investigation in criminal cases and the collection of evidence saying it would enhance public confidence in the system. The oral observations came from a bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde which reserved its order on a suo motu case of 2017 related to the deficiencies and inadequacies in criminal trials in the country in which it has proposed to amend the criminal manual and the rules which can be incorporated in the existing ones of the High Courts. "There is police investigation in which the investigating team goes to the scene of the crime and forgets to pick up crucial evidence. If a magistrate is associated with it, there will be a greater sense of responsibility for police", said the special bench which also comprised justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat. During the proceedings conducted through video conferencing, the bench also observed that the participation of magistrates may enhance the faith of the public in the investigative system. Senior advocate R Basant, assisting the bench as an amicus curiae, said that it would amount to treading the dangerous path as the role of adjudicators and the investigators would be merging. The bench also dealt with the provisions of the draft criminal manual with senior advocates Sidharth Luthra, Basant and K Parameshwar, who are assisting the bench as amicus curiae, to make the criminal justice delivery system more efficient. The apex court said it would order the judges to stop witnesses from coming to trial court for deposition if there was no chance of recording the statements on the given date as it would make the judicial system more witnessfriendly . Earlier, the apex court had found that some of the inadequacies and deficiencies in the criminal trials were relatable to the rules framed by various High Courts. Nonetheless, it was found necessary to prepare draft rules the provision of which can be incorporated in the existing rules by the High Courts. Accordingly, this court issued notices to the Registrars General of all the High Courts and the Chief Secretaries/Administrators of all States/Union Territories (UTs) including the Advocates General and the Standing Counsel for the The oral observations came from a bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde which reserved its order on a suo motu case of 2017 related to the deficiencies and inadequacies in criminal trials in the country in which it has proposed to amend the criminal manual and the rules which can be incorporated in the existing ones of the High Courts. States/UTs for arriving at a general consensus to amend the Criminal Manual to bring about uniform best practices across the country, it had said. It had also directed the High Courts to submit their responses through Registrar Generals to the draft criminal rules prepared by Luthra and Basant. They have suggested a slew of changes in the criminal manual. The Supreme Court has set aside a National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) order, which imposed a liability on Tata Motors for sale of a defective two-year-old car by one of its dealers to a customer. A bench comprising Justices U.U. Lalit, Hemant Gupta and S. Ravindra Bhat said: "Special knowledge of the allegations made by the dealer, and involvement, in an overt or tacit manner, by the appellant (car manufacturer), had to be proved to lay the charge of deficiency of service at its door.