YK MYK WEATHER TODAY MAX 36 C MIN 27 C HAS THE GOVERNMENT OF INDIA GIVEN UP ON ECONOMIC RELIEF OPINION Sky will be partly cloudy. KOLKATA FRIDAY, 16 OCT, 2020 PG-12, YEAR—7, ISSUE—154 (RNI NO: WBENG / 2014 / 56803) GADKARI LAUNCHES BLASTING PROCESS FOR ZOJILA TUNNEL CONSTRUCTION WORK NEW DELHI: Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari on Thursday virtually initiated the first blasting for Zojila Tunnel project on NH-1 in Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir. Zojila Tunnel will provide all-weather connectivity between Srinagar, Dras, Kargil and Leh regions. Terming Zojila tunnel as Asia's longest tunnel, Gadkari said: "The tunnel will certainly be used in changing the economy of Ladakh, Leh and Kashmir. With the efforts of all the people of our department, we have also saved about Rs 4,000 crores in this tunnel work." NATION Morning India Rs. 3 AT A GLANCE LOKPAL HAS NO POWER TO REVIEW ITS ORDER Economic cost of food-borne disease is USD 15 billion per year for India NEW DELHI: The Union Health Ministry on Thursday informed that the economic cost of foodborne diseases in India is estimated to be a whopping USD 15 billion. While wasting (21 per cent), underweighting (36 per cent), stunting (38 per cent) are common among children, at least 50 per cent of women and children suffering from anaemia, said the government. The Centre also informed that the prevalence of obesity has doubled in the decade (2005-2015) from 9.3 per cent to 18.6 per cent among males and from 12.6 per cent to 20.7 per cent among females with a corresponding rise in deaths due to Non- Communicable Diseases (NCDs). Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan chaired an interministerial meeting with the Food Safety Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) to achieve 'vision 2050' of the 'Eat Right India' Movement. Dr Vardhan, taking note of the alarming statistics, said, "'Eat Right India' and 'Fit India' Movement will prove to be gamechangers in the health sector of the country. The results will be visible for all of us in the coming ten years. A systems-based approach can ensure food safety along with their secure availability, promoting a healthy diet along UNION HEALTH MINISTER DR HARSH VARDHAN CHAIRED AN INTER-MINISTERIAL MEETING WITH THE FSSAI TO ACHIEVE 'VISION 2050' OF THE 'EAT RIGHT INDIA' MOVEMENT. Covid death toll in Bengal touches 5870 with 62 deaths A Chinook helicopter at Shinkula Pass, Thursday. CINEMAS GEAR UP TO OPEN FOR PUBLIC TODAY NEW DELHI: With just a few hours left for cinema halls in India to open doors to the public on Friday after a long gap due to the pandemic, trade experts open up on the challenges facing the industry, safety measures to be taken and plans to bring back moviegoers to theatres. Cinema halls were given the green signal to open from October 15, as per the guidelines of the Union Home Ministry and the Central government. While screening of films at some of the theatres on Thursday were dedicated to staff and family members, the general public can watch films on the big screen Friday onwards. CORONA METER INDIA TOTAL CASES: 7,309,164 TOTAL DEATH: 111,337 WORLD TOTAL CASES: 38,833,654 TOTAL DEATH: 1,098,155 with taking care of the environment through sustainable practices." Noting that 50 per cent of India's 1.3 billion does not meet the Recommended Dietary Allowance for critical micronutrients, the Health Minister championed the move for an approach of 'Food Security to Nutrition Security'. "The different Ministries can make critical interventions in primary production, food processing, their regulation with respect to wastage and issues of hygiene and end-consumption. Only then will 'Eat Right India' become a movement in its true sense," he added. Don’t comment on internal matters: India tells China NEW DELHI: India has sent a strong message to China asking it to refrain from commenting on its internal affairs. The remarks came after China's Foreign Ministry said earlier this week that it does not recognise Ladakh Union Territory and Arunachal Pradesh. Commenting on the remarks by China, MEA spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said India's position has always been clear and consistent and Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh have been, are, and would remain an integral part of India. He said Arunachal Pradesh is an integral and inalienable part of India. "Our position on this has always been clear and consistent. The union territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh have been, are, and would remain an integral part of India. China has no locus standi to comment on India's internal matters. We hope that countries will not comment on India's internal matters, as much as they expect the same of others," he said. "Our position on Arunachal Pradesh has also been made clear several times. Arunachal Pradesh is an integral and inalienable part of India. This fact has also been clearly conveyed to the Chinese side on several occasions, including at the highest level" he added. US APPOINTS DESTRO AS SPECIAL OFFICER FOR TIBET NEW DELHI: A day after President Xi Jinping called on Chinese troops to prepare for war, the United States appointed a senior official as its special coordinator for Tibetan issues. Tibet, which has been under Chinese occupation since 1950, remains a sensitive issue for Beijing diplomatically. The Chinese Communist Party regime has persistently refused to engage with the US coordinator on the Tibet issue. The Tibetan government in exile, established in India, is headed by the Dalai Lama. MORE ON WORLD PG KOLKATA : As altogether 5870 people including 62 during the last 24 hours, have lot their lives in West Bengal due to Covid-19 pandemic till today since March, and another altogether 3720 people got affected in one day today, the overall pandemic scenario in the state looked grim causing huge concern for all about the future. The latest Medical Bulleting issued by the state Health Department informed here tonight that despite all out efforts by the doctors, nurses and other Frontline Warriors, the total number of deaths crossed 5800 mark to reach the figure of 5870 with 62 more casualties during the last 24 hours only. At the same time a record number of 3720 more people were affected in one day today by the disease and admitted to hospitals for treatment, the bulletin said adding as a result the absolute number of those affected by Corona virus in Bengal crossed a record figure of over 3 lakhs for the first time to touch 3,09,417, up from 3,05,697 yesterday Among today's 62 new casualties, 27 were the residents of Kolkata and 25 belonged to North 24 Parganas and Howrah, while the rest were from other districts of South and North Bengal, the Bulletin said. Of the record number of 3,720 fresh Covid cases in one day in the state, the maximum 2588 were from Kolkata alone, followed by those from other districts, the bulletin said. Meanwhile, the total number of Active and serious Corona cases in different hospitals jumped to as high as 479 today, compared to 517 yesterday, to take their total number to exactly31,984 from 31,505 barely 24 hours ago. In this present grim situation the only positive indication was the rapid increase in the number of daily Covid-19 tests in the state at one point of time. But after a few days of ups and down, it has now come down to the range of 42,000 per day from around as high as 47,000 at one point of time. With the daily tests reaching the figure of 42,653 tonight from 42,549 yesterday, the total number of tests now touched the astounding figure of over 3.8 million to 38,61,095 tonight from 38,18,442 yesterday, the Bulletin said But in spite of that, the rate of recovery of Covid-19 patients in West Bengal during the day marginally reduced to 87.77 per cent from 87.79 per cent yesterday, compared to the national average of around 86 per cent. Altogether 3,179 people were discharged from different hospitals and safely returned home today, the Bulletin said adding so far altogether 2,71,563 people, up from 2,68,384 people yesterday, were able to return home after recovery. CCTV footage from Hathras hospital ‘lost’ HATHRAS: CBI investigations into the Hathras rape and murder case hit their first roadblock when the investigators found that the CCTV footage of September 14, the day the victim was brought in to the hospital, has been 'lost'. Chief Medical Superintendent of the Hathras district hospital, Indra Veer Singh, said that the hospital would have saved the footage if the police had asked them to. "Previous footage gets deleted every seven days and new footage gets recorded over it. We do not keep a back-up unless specifically asked to," he said. LET ALLAHABAD The victim had HC DEAL WITH HATHRAS CASE, first been taken to SAYS SUPREME the district COURT hospital PAGE 7 for treatment after the incident and the footage could have provided crucial evidence about her condition after she was allegedly attacked. The CBI team had visited the hospital to record statements of doctors and examine evidence. CBI sources said that the footage would have helped them ascertain the condition of the victim when she was brought there, who attended to her and who spoke to her when she was there. A police officer said the hospital has "nothing to do" with the crime-related investigation. "Unless a crime takes place in the hospital or negligence is reported, this has no bearing on the criminal investigation. These are unrelated things. That is why CCTV footage was not taken into account," he said. This, incidentally, the second case in recent weeks when absence of CCTV footage in a high-profile case being investigated by the CBI, is affecting INSIDE Mamata inaugurates 110 Durga Puja in South Bengal districts KOLKATA: Virtually inaugurating another 110 Durga Puja festivals in 12 South Bengal districts today, Chief minister Mamata Banerjee once again assured the people of all steps to ensure a trouble free celebrations of Eastern India's largest annual puja celebrations in the state. Reacting to some criticism in some quarters where people are apprehending a massive second surge of Covid-19 pandemic soon after the week long Durga Puga celebrations from next week, the Chief minister while inaugurating several major Durga Puja pandals in each of the 12 South Bengal districts this afternoon from Nabanna, Chief minister Mamata Banerjee inaugurated Durga Puja pandal on Thursday. said it would be very unfair on her part if her government, like several other states, had decided to close down this year's puja celebrations for fear of Covid-19. 'I know that a number of states like Maharashtra, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh did not permit any community Durga Puja this year because of Covid-19 pandemic, but I did not do that and instead took all preventive measures thinking the well being and the livelihood of lakhs of poor people and protect their lives', the CM said. 'I have also instructed all puja organizers to strictly follow all health protocols to prevent any large gathering at any place. Under no circumstance the pandal hoppers would be allowed to crowd inside any pandal', she said and once again reminded everybody the government directives regarding the compulsory wearing of masks and frequent sanitization of hands before visiting any pandal or the idols of the goddesses in small numbers at a time maintaining enough physical distancing. 'Barring a limited number of people the vast majority of others do care about the possible danger of the killer disease and have realized the importance of taking all precautions', she said in veiled reference to the criticism. REPUBLIC TV CASE: SUPREME COURT SAYS ‘Concerned about police commissioners giving interviews’ NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Thursday, during the hearing of Republic TV plea against the summons issued by the Mumbai Police to the news channel in connection with the alleged Television Rating Point (TRP) scam, said the court is concerned about the Police Commissioners giving interviews. A bench headed by Justice D.Y. Chandrachud and comprising Justices Indu Malhotra and Indira Banerjee at the outset of the hearing said: "We are concerned about Police Commissioners giving interviews." The Mumbai Police Commissioner held a press conference in the scam. The bench asked senior advocate Harish Salve, representing Republic TV, to move the Bombay High Court in the matter. Justice Chandrachud in a lighter vein told Salve, "Your office is in Worli. And, the Flora Fountain is not too far from Worli." The top court held a very short hearing on the Republic's TV plea. The top court observed that like any ordinary citizen facing investigation under CrPC, petitioners must also go to the High Court first. Salve agreed to withdraw the petition with the liberty to approach the High Court. The top court told Salve, "We must have faith in the High Court". The Mumbai Police has opposed the Republic TV demand for a CBI probe, saying the channel can't decide which agency should probe the matter. The affidavit filed by the Mumbai Police said the investigation into a crime can't be a matter of free speech and alleged that Arnab Goswami is threatening and intimidating WHY ARE SO MANY IN MUMBAI IN HURRY TO CLOSE THE CASE, ASKS SWAMY witnesses. The Republic TV plea in the apex court had challenged the October 9 summons, issued to the CFO of Republic Media Network, in connection with the investigation in an FIR. Earlier, the CFO citing the plea in the top court had urged the Mumbai Police to pause its probe in the role of the network and its employee, as a request has been made before the court for an early hearing into the matter. The police have named Republic TV, India Today TV, Fakt Marathi and Box Cinema among the accused after its discreet investigation in the past few days. MUMBAI: BJP Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy on Thursday said that news reports claiming that the CBI is closing the Sushant Singh Rajput case in the next couple of days is wrong. He also wondered why some people were in a rush to close the case. "According my information the media reports that CBI is closing, by a final report in the Sushant SR's unnatural death FIR in the next two days, is wrong. Why are so many in Mumbai in such a huge hurry to close the case?" Swamy tweeted on his verified account. Earlier in the day, he had shared updates about the case with a couple of tweets. "On direction of Ministry of Health, in compliance with the letter of Chairman of the Parliament's Standing Committee, to Secretary of MHFW, Dr. Sudhir Gupta met me today to apprise me of the non-classified forensic findings of the SSR case. These will be shared in the next tweet," he had written. "I am moving through the official process for a more thorough evaluation by the MH&FW's Medical Board of the post mortem on SSR done by Dr Cooper hospital & based on the seven shortcomings of post-mortem pointed out by AIIMS Board. This is nec- essary before CBI can conclude," he wrote in another tweet. Meanwhile, Breaking his silence, Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Thursday made it clear that he would resist any moves to finish off Bollywood or shift it from Mumbai. "Any attempts being made to finish off Bollywood or shift it elsewhere (from Mumbai) will not be tolerated and we shall oppose it," Thackeray assured at a meeting with single-screen and multiplex cinema hall owners to discuss re-starting of film theatres in the ongoing Unlockdown phases. "Bollywood enjoys a following and popularity across the globe. In many respects, it's even at par with Hollywood. The film industry also generates huge employment for lakhs of people," Thackeray said.