YK MYK WEATHER TODAY MAX 30 C MIN 23 C WORKS WORTH RS 23K CR DONE UNDER GARIB KALYAN YOJANA: PM OPINION Rainfall may occur. Rs. 5 RANCHI SUNDAY, 13 SEPT, 2020 PG-12, YEAR—10, ISSUE—134 (RNI NO: JHAENG / 2012 / 44137) AT A GLANCE NEET TODAY AMID STRICT COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS NEW DELHI: Over 15 lakh candidates are expected to appear in medical entrance exam NEET on Sunday which will be conducted amid strict precautions in view of the COVID1-9 pandemic, according to officials of the National Testing Agency (NTA). In order to maintain social distancing, the NTA has increased the number of exam centres from originally-planned 2,546 to 3,843, while the number of candidates per room has been reduced from earlier 24 to 12. The crucial NEET has already been deferred twice in view of the COVID-19 pandemic. SCHOOL PRINCIPALS MEET CM SOREN RANCHI: Principals of ICSE schools in the city on Saturday sought an amendment in the government directive related to school fees under the prevailing situation. In a meeting with the CM, the principals said that though there is no change in the school expenses including payment of salary to teachers and staffs non-payment of fee by the students has led to the financial crisis. They asked the CM to issue an amended directive in this regard. The principals also apprised the CM of the state of education under the prevailing Covid pandemic while stating that online classes are being regularly held for the students. Meanwhile, in another development the East Singhbhum administration informed the CM said it has taken cognisance of the threats issued to a woman by the land mafias and is taking further action. The CM has issued an instruction to the administration after learning that anti-social elements have cut power and water supply connection of a women house and had asked her to leave. US OPEN: ZVONAREVA & SIEGEMUND WIN WOMEN’S DOUBLE TITLE SPORTS Morning India 1239 fresh cases take Covid count past 60k in State ANURAG THAKUR RANCHI: The State on Saturday reported 1239 cases of Covid-19 taking the total tally to 60,279. Five deaths were also reported, two from Bokaro and one each from Ranchi, Dumka and Dhanbad. Earlier,961 cases were reported on Thursday. Among the samples tested positive, maximum 270 cases were reported from Jamshedpur, 86 from Ranchi, 38 from Chaibasa, 201 from Bokaro, 19 from Deoghar, 24 from Garhwa, 93 from Giridih, 15 from Dumka, 23 from Godda, 30 from Hazaribagh, 21 from Khunti, 14 from Koderma, 33 from Latehar, 20 from Palamu, 25 from Ramgarh, 27 from Sahebganj, 25 from Saraikela, 17 from Simdega and 7 from Chatra. Meanwhile, 1728 patients recovered from the virus and returned home. Maximum 360 patients recovered from the virus in Jamshedpur and 265 from Ranchi. Active cases reached to 14682 and total 45056 patients recovered from the virus so far in the state. So far 546 people lost their lives. Health Secretary, Dr Nitin Madan Kulkarni said that the recovery rate of COVID19 infected patients has increased to 72.86 per cent which is a good sign for us. Notably, in view of the convenience of the people of Ranchi and to conduct a maximum number of tests, the static centre launched by the Ranchi district administration for investigation of covid at eight places in different parts of Ranchi has good response and people are coming for testing. Any citizen can reach these centers and submit their swab sample. Meanwhile, Rapid antigen testing drive will be run once again in Ranchi district for control of Covid-19. On Saturday Deputy Commissioner Chavi Ranjan held a meeting and gave necessary guidelines to the officials regarding the preparation of rapid testing drive in the light of the letter of the Campaign Director, National Health Mission, Ranchi. Special testing drive will be run in different locations on 16 and 18 September in Ranchi district. In this, covid-19 will be investigated for Containment Zone, HaatBazar, Fruit and Vegetable Market, Slum Area, Hospital workers and drivers, municipal cleaners, people working in hotels and restaurants, policemen etc. During the meeting, the Deputy Commissioner directed to identify the location for the sample collection centre in consultation with the officials for a special campaign for the covid-19 investigation. In this special campaign lasting two days, a total of 15000 people have been targeted for covid-19 investigation. A sample collection centre will be built on September 16 in the Chamber building. After talking to the Chamber of Commerce representative during the meeting, the DC gave instructions to make preparations related to it. People working in hotels and restaurants here can submit their samples for Covid-19 examination. During the meeting, DC also talked to the officials about the camp to be held in the Vidhan Sabha from September 15 to 17 for investigation of Covid-19 and gave them necessary guidelines related to the preparations. Taking full knowledge of the team to be engaged in the sample collection work here, he directed the concerned officer to conduct a sample collection, following all the guidelines. MORE ON PG 5 China hands over 5 ‘missing’ Arunachal youth DEFYING NORMS Contractual police personnel ignored social distancing norms as they take rest at a makeshift tent in Morabadi. Several policemen statged protest to press the demand of regularisation of their job, in Ranchi on Saturday. Hemant Sutradhar Protesting ‘Sahayak’ cops refuse to budge RAJ KUMAR RANCHI: As many as 2500 Sahayak Police forces who marched to the State capital and assembled at Morhabadi ground, in violation of Covid-10 norms of social distancing and wearing masks, today kept senior police officials on their toes throughout the day, till filing of the report. They had been appointed for three years on a contract basis on monthly honorarium of Rs 10,000 in 12 naxal-affected districts of Jharkhand in 2017 to assist regular police forces to fight against extremism. They are demanding regularization their service. Assembled at Morhabadi ground adjacent to the residence of Dishom Guru Shibu Soren, the Sahayak Police sitting on the ground attracted attention of common people, who were surprised to notice men in uniform in agitating mode and finding police officials giving them positive assurance in Covid-19 time when many have lost their jobs and the state government is crying for fund for regular developmental work. “You are part of the police family. Your demand will be communicated to competent officers,” heard S.P. (traffic) saying to the agitating Sahayak Police but the latter were not ready to leave the ground till fulfillment of their demands. They reached walking to the ground from other districts as the district administration did not allow those buses to run which were carrying them. Among the 2500 Sahayak Police, there were several women. They had started reaching late last night and passed the whole night under open sky for their demand. Contacted a Sahayak Policeman for comment he justified the agitation. “We were promised a regular job on the basis of our three years' performance but nothing has been done so far while the contract of Sahayak Police has started expiring. This is injustice with us. We served for the department taking life risks in naxal-affected areas but got nothing in lieu of the service. We will not go until the process of our service regularization starts,” a Sahayak Police said. Contacted Deputy Inspector General of South Chotanagpur Akhilesh Jha, who was among the senior police officials who went to pacify them, for his comment he admitted the situation but said Sahayak Police responded positively and have given positive assurance and it is expected they will end their agitation. “I have made them clear that the decision regarding service regularization is a policy matter while extension of contract is a matter of consideration. For policy decisions we will communicate the matter to competent authority and for extension of contract we will consider. They behaved with proper discipline. Hope they will realize what I have said,” Jha said. ITANAGAR: Five youngsters from Arunachal Pradesh, who went missing on September 2 but were later found to be in Chinese territory, were handed over to India by the People's Liberation Army on Saturday amid the ongoing stand-off between the two sides at the Line of Actual Control in eastern Ladakh. The five returned to India nearly 10 days after they were allegedly abducted, defence sources said. The youth were handed over to Indian authorities in Damai near Kibithu in Anjaw district of eastern Arunachal Pradesh. "The Indian Army took custody of the five individuals at Kibitu on THE FIVE RETURNED Saturday after TO INDIA NEARLY 10 completing all DAYS AFTER THEY the formalities. WERE ALLEGEDLY They will now be ABDUCTED, quarantined for DEFENCE SOURCES 14 days as per SAID. THE YOUTH Covid-19 protoWERE HANDED col and thereOVER TO INDIAN after handed AUTHORITIES IN over to their DAMAI NEAR families," KIBITHU IN ANJAW Defence PRO Lt DISTRICT OF EASTCol Harsh ERN ARUNACHAL Wardhan Pande PRADESH. said in a statement. The Kibithu (Arunachal)-Damai (China) area is a place where Indian and Chinese armies hold border meetings. Local media had reported that Toch Singkam, Prasat Ringling, Dongtu Ebiya, Tanu Baker, and Ngaru Diri -- all belonging to the Tagin community -- had gone to the forest for hunting when they were reportedly kidnapped near Nacho in Upper Subansiri district. The PLA had on Tuesday conveyed to the Indian Army that the five youth, who went missing on the Sino-Indian border in Upper Subansiri district, were found by them in their territory. Defence sources had said that persistent efforts of the Indian Army led to the whereabouts of five missing hunters, who had inadvertently crossed the LAC. JP Nadda kickstarts Wildlife population declined poll campaign in Bihar by 68% since 1970: WWF CORONA METER INDIA TOTAL CASES: 4,694,077 TOTAL DEATH: 77,800 WORLD TOTAL CASES: 28,727,789 TOTAL DEATH: 920,902 PATNA: With the upcoming Assembly election in Bihar, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) National President J.P. Nadda has exhorted party members to play the role of a catalyst for promotion of 'Vocal for Local' campaign. "The Centre under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has formed so many policies and adequate allocation of funds (nearly Rs 20 lakh crore) for people of Bihar, it's time party leaders and members publicised those policies before common people so that they would get maximum benefits from government aid," Nadda said. In a bid to reach common people in Bihar, Nadda gave an example, saying the Prime Minister has allocated funds of Rs one lakh crore for MSME sector for loans to the youth. There is also an allocation of funds for streetvendors who can apply for a Rs 10,000-20,000 loan. Now, it is the duty of BJP youth wing and members on ground to publicise the scheme for the benefit of the people of Bihar. It will eventually push the state to become self-reliant ('Aatmanirbhar Bihar'), he added. "I am a native of Bihar and I know the state has the potential to become self-reliant. The Makhana industry in Bihar, Madhubani paintings, Lithi of Muzaffarpur, silk industry of Bhagalpur are recognised by the world," Nadda said. Covid ventilator patients can have permanent nerve damage: Study NEW YORK: Severely ill Covid-19 patients on ventilators are placed in a prone (face down) position because it's easier for them to breathe and reduces mortality. However, a new study shows that life-saving position can also cause permanent nerve damage in these vulnerable patients. According to the study, published in the British Journal of Anaesthesia, nerve damage is the result of reduced blood flow and inflammation. Other nonCovid-19 patients on ventilators in this position rarely experience any nerve damage. "This is a much higher percentage of patients with nerve damage than we've ever seen in any other critically ill population," said study author Colin Franz from Northwestern University in the US. "Ordinarily, very sick people can tolerate the position that helps their breathing. But Covid patients' nerves can't tolerate the forces other people can generally bear," Franz added. Based on this study, 12 to 15 per cent of the most severely ill Covid-19 patients have permanent nerve damage. Based on the number of Covid patients worldwide, Franz estimated thousands of patients have been impacted. "The injury has been According to the study, published in the British Journal of Anaesthesia, nerve damage is the result of reduced blood flow and inflammation. Other non-Covid-19 patients on ventilators in this position rarely experience any nerve damage. missed because people who have been critically ill are expected to wake up with some generalized, symmetric weakness because they have been bedridden, Franz said. The pattern of weakness in the Covid-19 patients caught the researchers' attention during rehabilitation since quite often an important joint such as the wrist, ankle or shoulder would be completely paralyzed on one side of the body. "We noticed patients are getting a lot of pressure at the elbow or at the neck, so we've made some adjustments to the way we position the joints as well as putting extra padding under the elbow and the knee where there is the most pressure," Franz said. The most common injuries are wrist drops, foot drops, loss of hand function and frozen shoulder. Some patients had as many as four distinct nerve injury sites. Some people who are dragging a foot need assistance with walking such as a wheelchair, brace or cane. MORE ON PG 5 NEW DELHI: Global populations of mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles and fish have suffered an average two-thirds' decline in less than half a century. This has contributed to environmental degradation, leading to the emergence of zoonotic diseases such as Covid-19, according to WWF's Living Planet Report, 2020. The Living Planet Index (LPI) shows that factors believed to increase the planet's vulnerability to pandemics -- including land-use change and the use and trade of wildlife -were also some of the drivers behind the 68 per cent average decline in global vertebrate species population between 1970 and 2016. "The Living Planet Report, 2020 underlines how humanity's increasing destruction of nature is having catastrophic impact not only on wildlife populations but also on human health and all aspects of our lives," said Marco Lambertini, Director General, WWF International. "We can't ignore the evidence -- the serious decline in wildlife species populations are an indicator that nature is unravelling and that our planet is flashing red-warning signs of system failure. From the fish in our oceans and rivers to bees which play a crucial role in our agricultural production, the decline of wildlife affects nutrition, food security and livelihoods of billions of people," he added. In the midst of a global pandemic, it is now more important than ever to take unprecedented and coordinated global action to halt and start to reverse the loss of biodiversity and wildlife populations across the globe by the end of the decade and protect our future health and livelihoods. The Living Planet Report, 2020 presents a comprehensive overview of the state of our natural world through the LPI which tracks trends in global wildlife abundance with contributions from more than 125 experts from around the world. It shows that the main cause of the dramatic decline in species populations on land observed in the LPI is habitat loss and degradation, including deforestation driven by how we as a humanity produce food. The LPI, which tracked almost 21,000 populations of more than 4,000 vertebrate species between 1970 and 2016, also shows that wildlife populations found in freshwater habitats have suffered a decline of 84 per cent -- the starkest average population decline in any biome equivalent to 4 per cent per year since 1970. One example is the spawning population of the Chinese sturgeon in China's Yangtze river which declined by 97 per cent between 1982 and 2015 due to the damming of the waterway. Based on a paper, bending the curve of terrestrial biodiversity needs an integrated strategy co-authored by WWF and more than 40 NGOs and academic institutions and published in 'Nature' on Saturday, the LPR, 2020 also includes pio- neering modelling which shows that without further efforts to counteract habitat loss and degradation, global biodiversity will continue to decline. The modelling makes clear that stabilizing and reversing the loss of nature caused by humans' destruction of natural habitats will only be possible if bolder, more ambitious conservation efforts are embraced and transformational changes made to the way we produce and consume food. Changes needed include making food production and trade more efficient and ecologically sustainable, reducing waste and favouring healthier and more environment-friendly diets. The research shows that implementing these measures together rather than in isolation will allow the world to rapidly alleviate pressures on wildlife habitats. The modelling also indicates that if the world carries on with "business as usual", rates of biodiversity loss seen since 1970 will continue over the coming years. "The focus of Living Planet Report, 2020 is to reiterate a scientific case for the urgent action we need to protect and restore nature and biodiversity," said Ravi Singh, Secretary General and CEO, WWF India.