YK MYK WEATHER TODAY MAX 31 C MIN 23 C RURAL JOBS GROWTH DECLINE IN AUG SHOOTING UP UNEMPLOYMENT OPINION Rainfall may occur. PRESIDENT, PM MODI TO SPEAK ON NEW EDUCATION POLICY TODAY SPORTS Morning India Rs. 5 RANCHI MONDAY, 7 SEPT, 2020 PG-12, YEAR—10, ISSUE—128 (RNI NO: JHAENG / 2012 / 44137) CORONA DCW rescues teenage M E T E R girl trafficked from INDIA TOTAL CASES: 4,160,493 TOTAL DEATH: 71,120 WORLD TOTAL CASES: 27,145,731 TOTAL DEATH: 884,948 AT A GLANCE FORMER MLA ALLEGEDLY BEATEN TO DEATH OVER LAND DISPUTE IN UP LAKHIMPUR: Former MLA Nirvendra Kumar Mishra was allegedly beaten to death over a land dispute on Sunday. The incident took place near the limits of police station Sampurnagar in Trikolia area. "There was a dispute regarding land in the presence of former MLA Narendra Mishra. There was a minor skirmish over the land dispute and the situation escalated, during which he got injured and was taken to CHC Palia where he was declared brought dead," SP Satyendra Kumar Singh told reporters. Lakshmi Singh IG range Lucknow said, "A person Kishore Kumar Gupta took possession of his land. The former MLA was present and he protested against that. During the protest, the former MLA fell down. In the injured state he was brought to CHC hospital in Palia where he was declared dead. As per eyewitnesses, there was no injury on his body. The cause of death will be known after post mortem." 1122 fresh cases; Covid count set to cross 51K in State Jharkhand years ago SHIBU SOREN TESTS NEGATIVE, WILL STAY IN DELHI FOR SOME TIME NEW DELHI: The Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) has rescued a teenage girl, a resident of Jharkhand, from New Rajinder Nagar area here. The girl has recounted her ordeal of rape by several men and even an attempted rape over the past few years. "The girl, aged around 1617, was trafficked from Jharkhand when she was nine. The Commission's 181 helpline received a call from the girl's father that he had been looking for his daughter taken from Jharakhand many years back and that he knew her present location," the Commission said in a statement. A DCW team contacted the complainant in Moti Nagar area, after which he disclosed that the teenager was living with a woman named Neelam. After he guided the DCW team to Neelam, she revealed that she'd brought the girl from Rohini's Sector 11 a few days ago but sent her to an NGO's shelter. Neelam was initially hesitant in sharing the details but relented later. The DCW team reached the said address, only to find it was the residence of a lawyer. The team then met the lawyer and asked her about the girl's whereabouts. The lawyer said that Neelam had brought the girl to her place, and that she had counselled her. The lawyer claimed that the teenager had informed her about rape with her as well. She too said that the girl was now living in a shelter run by an NGO. "The team went to the given address in New Rajinder Nagar and found that the girl was actually working as a domestic help at a private house, and was not lodged at the shelter," a DCW statement read. The girl was rescued and taken to the Rajinder Nagar police station and counselled by the DCW team. The teenager said that a person from her village had lured her to Delhi some years ago. She was sold off to a trafficker named Champa, who was involved in her rape by several men. She was able to recount the names of some of the men. The girl was later sold off to a family in Punjabi Bagh, where she worked as a domestic help for several years. She said that she was raped by a man named Shubham there. After this, she was sent to a house in Rohini's Sector 11. A placement agent named Joseph also attempted to rape her, she said. ANURAG THAKUR RANCHI: The State on Sunday reported 1122 cases of Covid19 taking the total tally to 50,939. Four deaths were also reported, three from Jamshedpur and one from Sahebganj. Earlier,1774 cases were reported on Saturday. Among the samples tested positive, maximum 348 cases were reported from Ranchi, 103 from Jamshedpur, 71 from Hazaribagh, 77 from Ramgarh, 68 from Garhwa, 94 from Saraikela, 97 from Bokaro, 41 from Chatra, 47 from Deoghar, 39 from Giridih, 26 from Khunti, 15 from Gumla, 15 from Latehar, 11 from Palamu, 12 from Simdega, 30 from Chaibasa, 7 from Dumka, 5 each from Godda and Dhanbad, 4 from Candidates appearing in UPSC’s NDA entrance examination, in Ranchi on Sunday. SEE PG 2 Koderma and 2 from Pakur. Meanwhile, 1311 patients recovered from the virus and returned home. Maximum 632 patients recovered from the virus in Ranchi, 159 from Bokaro, 108 from Jamshedpur, 69 from Hazaribagh, 59 from Koderma, 64 from Palamu, 33 from Khunti, 64 from Palamu and 57 from Simdega. Active cases reached to 14832 and total 35641 patients recovered from the virus so far in the state. However, 470 people lost their lives. Health Secretary, Dr Nitin Madan Kulkarni said that the recovery rate of COVID19 infected patients has increased to 67.40 percent which is a good sign for us. The mass testing drive has increased the number of cases but will help us break the chain of covid, he added. Meanwhile, Rajya Sabha MP and JMM supremo Shibu Soren defeated Covid-19, adding to the list of VIPs to have done so in the state since the virus outbreak. Soren, whose second test turned out negative on Sunday, was released from Medanta Hospital in Gurugram. Notably, he was admitted there on August 25, days after he tested positive for the virus. JMM’s general secretary Supriyo Bhattacharjee said, “Guruji has overcome NEW DELHI: Pune-based energy distribution company Repos Energy has registered over 150 fuel startups in less than a month. These startups would carry on doorto-door delivery of diesel through mobile petrol pumps. "With the goal to reboot the economy and making India Atmanirbhar, Repos Energy has been working extensively to create a startup ecosystem of its own in the energy sector," a company statement said. ALSO SEE BUSINESS PG BACK ON BEACH People visit a beach, in Goa on Sunday. ANI RHEA QUESTIONED FOR ABOUT 6 HRS MUMBAI: Actress Rhea Chakraborty was on Sunday questioned for about six hours by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) in the drugs case linked to the death of her livein partner and actor Sushant Singh Rajput. The 28-year-old arrived at the agency's office in the Ballard Estate area at 12 noon and left shortly after 6 PM. She was escorted by police personnel. Officials said she has been asked to appear again on Monday for questioning and recording of her statement like today. A team of the agency had early morning visited her home the virus and is doing fine. However, he will currently continue to stay put in Delhi for a few days.”Earlier, Guruji who is suffering from multiple ailments was taken to Medanta via train from Bokaro last month after doctors advised him to avoid air travel owing to chances of breathing problems. He was accompanied by a team of medical professionals along with security personnel. Before his departure, Soren was also administered about 500 ml plasma of B+ blood, donated by a police jawan. Sources in the party said that Soren will stay put at Rajmahal MP Vijay Hansda’s official residence in Delhi under the watchful eyes o medical professionals for some time. Oxford Covid vaccine trials delayed over safety approvals RATAN TATA-BACKED REPOS ENERGY REGISTERS 150 STARTUPS CENTRE PROPOSES FULL REFUND ON AIRLINE TICKETS BOOKED DURING LOCKDOWN NEW DELHI: The Centre has proposed that a full refund should be given by the airlines within 15 days for tickets booked during the lockdown, and if any airline is in financial distress then a credit shell should be provided up to March 31, 2021 on any route of passengers choice. The full refund has been proposed for tickets booked during the lockdown on domestic, international and foreign airlines. In an affidavit in the Supreme Court, O.K. Gupta, Director, Directorate General of Civil Aviation, said for the domestic airlines if the tickets were booked directly with the airline or through an agent, during the first lockPG 7 down period. THE GIRL, AGED AROUND 16-17, WAS TRAFFICKED FROM JHARKHAND WHEN SHE WAS NINE. THE COMMISSION'S 181 HELPLINE RECEIVED A CALL FROM THE GIRL'S FATHER THAT HE HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR HIS DAUGHTER TAKEN FROM JHARAKHAND MANY YEARS BACK AND THAT HE KNEW HER PRESENT LOCATION. to serve summons to her for joining the probe. A team led by NCB joint director Sameer Wankhede had visited Rhea's house located in Santa Cruz (west) area accompanied by local police and some women personnel. The team left after visiting her flat. The agency has said it also wants to confront Rhea with her younger brother Showik Chakraborty (24), Rajput's house manager Samuel Miranda (33) and his house staffer Dipesh Sawant in order to ascertain their individual roles in this alleged drug racket after it obtained mobile phone chat records and other JUSTICE FOR SUSHANT electronic data that suggested some banned drugs were allegedly procured by these people. The NCB has, over the last two days, arrested these three men in this case. Officials said the actor was questioned on these lines on Sunday. Rhea, in interviews given to multiple TV news channels, has said that she has never consumed drugs herself. She had, however, claimed that the late actor used to consume marijuana. It is claimed that Miranda told NCB investigators that he used to procure bud or curated marijuana for the late actor's household. A total of eight people have been arrested till now by the NCB with six being directly linked to this probe while two were arrested by it when the probe was launched under criminal sections of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act. When the probe in the case began, the agency had arrested two men, Abbas Lakhani and Karan Arora, for alleged drug peddling and officials have claimed that through them they reached Zaid Vilatra and Abdel Basit Parihar who are allegedly linked to this drugs case as they were in touch with Miranda. Miranda, they had said, used to allegedly procure drugs from them on the purported instructions of Showik, agency officials said. NEW DELHI: The clinical trials for the Covid19 vaccine candidate developed by the University of Oxford, which was expected to start at The Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh, have been delayed by at least a week. The trials that were expected to commence in the first week of September have been delayed due to the safety approval pending from the Data Safety and Monitoring Board (DSMB) for the first 100 candidates selected to undergo the trials, the institute told IANS. In result, the further recruitment of the candidates for the trials has been put on hold. “For the time being, the further recruitment of the candidates for the trials for the Oxford vaccine THE TRIALS THAT is on hold because WERE EXPECTED TO we are waiting for COMMENCE IN THE the approval for FIRST WEEK OF safety of the first SEPTEMBER HAVE 100 participants BEEN DELAYED DUE recruited till now TO THE SAFETY from the Data APPROVAL PENDING Safety and FROM THE DATA Monitoring Board. SAFETY AND In this light, we MONITORING BOARD would be able to (DSMB) FOR THE update you FIRST 100 CANDIregarding any DATES SELECTED TO development on UNDERGO THE TRIALS this front by next weekend only,” said Prof. Dr. Madhu Gupta, the principal investigator of the vaccine trial scheduled at the PGIMER. The premier institute said it received 400 volunteers for the trials. Of them, 253 would be administered the first dose of the undertrial vaccine. Gupta had earlier informed that 16member staff, including herself, would supervise the clinical trials. The PGIMER is among the 17 sites selected for the human clinical trials of the adenovirus-based Covid-19 vaccine candidate developed jointly by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford. India. The institute will participate in the second and third phases of the proposed vaccine. The vaccine’s production and marketing will be looked after by the Serum Institute of India (SII), one of the largest vaccine producers in the country. BRO resorts to new machinery for faster passages to security forces LADAKH: Workers, hired labourers have been asked to work even on weekends and in double shifts NEW DELHI: To facilitate security forces in the current tensed situation at the China border where forces have to take heavy machines and other weaponry to required locations, the Border Road Organisation (BRO) has started working round the clock to complete the work on all roads connecting Leh and clean the patches which have seen landslides or were blocked otherwise. According to the BRO officials, the latest types of machines have been roped in costing crores of rupees to cut the road and frequent blasting is also being carried out. Not only this, BRO workers and hired labourers have been asked to work even on weekends and in double shifts. The workforce has also been increased considerably sensing the gravity of the current situa- tion at the China border. Keeping the current situation into account, the BRO is also deploying heavy machinery to clear the road ahead of the winters. "In the current situation to help the Army and other forces to transport any heavy pieces of machinery, BRO has adopted the latest machine which you won't find in any other part of India. These machines are also reducing human risk and we are also dealing with explosives to cut mountains to build the roads," B Kishan, Executive Engineer Officer commanding, 81 Road Construction Company, BRO told ANI. "With this new machines, our speed of making roads has increased 10 times and very easily and swiftly we can build roads especially in the current situation route for operational purposes. Indian Army trucks movement on the road in Leh on Sunday. as this machine helps us in fixing explosives to break rocks," Kishan added. BRO has also been connecting the roads as per the requirement of forces. Seeing the present situ- ANI ation at the China border, BRO has linked a road to Ladakh through Padam-Yulchung-Sumdo to Khalsi on National Highway 1. This step allows security forces to immediately use this third access Chinese chipmaker denies military ties as US steps up feud: China's leading maker of semiconductors has denied it has any links to the military following reports Washington is considering stepping up its feud with Beijing over technology and security by imposing export controls that could disrupt manufacturing for a national industrial champion. U.S. regulators are considering adding Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp. to a list of foreign buyers that need government permission to acquire technology or components, according to The Wall Street Journal and other outlets. They said officials are looking at whether SMIC plays a role in Chinese military development. We have no relationship with the Chinese military, the company said in a statement. It said SMIC products are solely for civilian and commercial end-users and end-uses. The company said it is open to sincere and transparent communication with Washington to resolve potential misunderstandings. SMIC is a leader in a semiconductor industry built up by the ruling Communist Party in an effort to reduce China's reliance on foreign technology. The Trump administration is trying block Chinese access to U.S. technology it worries might be used to make weapons or develop competitors to American industry. The U.S.-Chinese tariff war that erupted in 2018 was sparked in part by Washington's com- plaints about Beijing's technology ambitions. The United States and other governments complain Chinese development plans are based on stealing or pressuring foreign companies to hand over technology. Washington also worries about China's development of longrange missiles, supercomputers that can be used in nuclear warhead development and other high-tech weapons. That comes amid tension over control of the South China Sea and other territorial disputes. Washington has imposed similar curbs on access to U.S. process chips and other components for China's first global tech competitor, Huawei Technologies Ltd., one of the biggest makers of smartphones and network equipment.